Monday, March 7, 2011

Haiti relived {Personal}

Last night, as I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep, I started reminiscing about my trips last year. It has been a year since I took the opportunity to go to Haiti with my church and document the country and their mission after the earthquake.

I realized that I never took the time to really think about and write about my personal experience of the trip. As I lay there, I couldn't really figure out what I wanted to say about it that hasn't been said before.

We've all heard the stats, seen the pictures, read the commentary on what should be done and how they should do it. What else is there left to say?

I had assumed that going to Haiti would be a life-changing experience. That it would inspire me to find a solution to save it from corrupt politicians and 300 years of failed attempts to prosperity. In all honesty, Haiti was not some big catharsis to self-discovery and marked social consciousness. In fact, it led to a realization that despite our best intentions, our most ardent passion for positive change, we cannot save the world from itself.

Now, I know that sounds like a real downer but in reality I found it to be comforting.

As much as I encourage social activism and fully support the constant work of people and organizations that help others improve their lives, I consider it comforting to realize that we are not in control of others and what happens to them. We cannot stop bad things from happening. We are not responsible for saving the world.

With that in mind, I do look forward to any future opportunities that come my way. I look forward to continuing to strive to find better, more efficient ways of really helping people.

It showed me the arrogance and pride that can seep through something that starts off with good intentions and ends up about us being right, or being some sort of saviors. I just find it reassuring and also humbling that though I am called to help and love others to the best of my abilities, I am in the end, not responsible and quite frankly unable to save myself, yet alone save the whole world.









You can go here and here to read my blog posts and see photos from my trip.

1 comment: