Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Haiti

 God is so good to me, friends

Yesterday I turned the big 2-3. Birthdays have the annoying habit of bringing up the past and pointing at the future. "Look at all the crap you've done instead of this awesome stuff others have done. But don't feel bad, you're just getting closer to death and you still haven't ___ (fill in the blank)___"

Well, maybe that's just me.

This year was different though. Instead of listening to Jimmy Eat World's 23 all day, which was my original plan, I spend my birthday in meetings, writing e-mails and checking flights. And trust me, that is a GREAT thing.

Our heavenly Father always has grander plans for us

After hearing the heartbreaking news about the earthquake in Haiti, my church has been actively collecting and sending aid to missionaries in Haiti. The Missions department also decided to send a team to assist the missionaries as soon as possible. I immediately spoke to them and signed up to plan the trip and go. 

I don't know why

The news of the earthquake not only shook the ground of Haiti, it also shook my unstable faith. The ever cliche "why do bad things happen?" littered my heart for a while. Dark times clouded by doubt and apathy.

"What the heck am I going to do in Haiti?"

And then, while researching the trip, I stumbled on an article. The reporter described countless Haitians creating a makeshift church to worship God and pray for deliverance. Songs of praise lifted up from the crowded tent village as people in deep suffering had nothing but hope on the Lord. I wept. I repented. The clouds dispersed. 

So I will join them, though I cannot even comprehend what they are going through. I will join them in songs of praise, prayers of petition and tears of pain.  

I will listen to them, hug them, pray with them and do my best to love them, because honestly, that's all I can do. I hope to make sure this "Haiti thing" is not just a media fad. That their long-term reality will be our life-long burden. 

March 4 to March 11 will be a life-changing week. 


After weeks of planning,  I finally got clearance to go yesterday. I will be joining nurses, doctors, construction workers and pastors in Port-Au-Prince and document our stay. My role is of minimal importance to our work in Haiti, but I know this trip will be significant for God's work in me. 

This has turned into a really long post. If you read this all, thank you. And I ask, 

Don't forget. 

About Haiti. About relief workers. About what YOU can do to help.  Please pray for me and our team. and please never stop praying for and actively helping people who need you. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm praying for all of you. Your passion is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you and the team!!! I'll be praying for you and I know that God will do great things through all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING! im so proud of you, and so excited about the "clouds dispersing". I love you and will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud of you, friend...and praying for you of course!

    ReplyDelete