Wednesday, February 11, 2009

alleged unhealthy love

I have what some people would call an unhealthy obsession with John Mayer. I see nothing unhealthy in enjoying a musical artist. I've seen this cat in concert thrice... in different states. I've photographed him. I follow him on twitter, read his blog and most unbelievable of all, I actually buy his CDs. Completely healthy fan behavior. 

I don't know what it is about him that I like so much. Could it be his wit? his musical talent? his 6'2 frame? his womanizing ways? The way he whores himself to the media? that he dresses up as a bear? who knows... maybe its all the above. How can I not love a man that hangs out with Trick Daddy?

He was on the Ellen Degeneres Show on Monday and they did a hilarious rendition of LadyGaga's Just Dance.  

It made me laugh, as expected. 


I think despite all the TV shows, witty banter and slick physique, the thing that I truly love JM for is his music. Others will agree. Some (lame) others say it's overrated and made for prepubescent girls to swoon over. 

They could be right, though I will never admit it. The underlying truth is that there's a moment of my life connected to any John Mayer song out there. Relationships, parties, friendships, milestones, heartache. Hearing a song of his will immediately transport me to a time, a place, a memory. It's like he describes the emotions I find difficult to describe. 

That's what real music is to me. Something more than the background noise of daily life. Real music connects with the soul, with emotions, with memories. It will transport you to the time when you first heard "slow dancing in a burning room" and you wept because it meticulously described your failing relationship. (not that it happened to me or anything....). 

Perhaps its total coincidence and a bit lame that this specific singer/songwriter has added so much to the last 5-6 years of my life. It could be weird that I somehow connect myself to someone I've never met simply because we've shared similar emotions. Regardless, I still see nothing unhealthy about that ;-)

Plus, if the Jonas Brothers like him.... why shouldn't I?

4 comments:

  1. you call it being a fan, some would call it being a stalker ;)

    i keed. i love his lyrics as well! and his music is soothing and funky. love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how could you not love him after that....had me cracking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i watched this video before class. you made my day! officially!

    ReplyDelete