Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration day.

I have a confession to make. As much as I try, I am not very artistic. I am very creative and can come up with amazing ideas. When it comes to executing those ideas, I am no good. I came to this conclusion this weekend, when I was given a white plastic chair and asked to make something that would incorporate Obama's presidential win with Martin Luther King's dreams for the future. 

This is the best I could come up with.  

I started by spray-painting the chair. I was going to make it into a swirl of red, white and blue. Unfortunately the spray paint did not work out. The only way I could figure to fix it was to cover up the chair with anything I could find related to Obama. I went through some newspapers and pasted everything I could find on the chair. 

You may be asking, "what the hell happened to the legs???" Well, I wanted the legs to look a little worn, so my brother grabbed a hammer and got a bit too excited. We taped the legs together. 

I came up with an amazing description of the art, of course. You see, the African American community has been beaten and shattered, yet they have always managed to 'bind' together and built themsselves up again. Obama's election is the start of a new beginning for the African-American community. One of hope and with an example of what one can achieve when grounded and empowered to do great things. 

I know. It's great. 
As great as my BS is, this is not even close to what I had in mind, but as I realized, my creativity is light-years away from my actual bodily abilities. I think I'll stick to photography. 

On this special day of American history, my prayers are with Obama, Biden and their families. The presidency is no easy job, as obviously seen on the tired faces of all the ex-presidents. They have a big clean-up job to do and I earnestly hope they can turn the direction of the country. 

Let's all hope Obama is a better president than I am an artist. 

4 comments:

  1. you could also say that obama comes from the ghetto. just like this chair.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO amanda! Good gosh!
    that was terrible.

    Merari, I love the chair. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. this still makes me laugh. i am so fond of you and your retarded chair.

    ReplyDelete