Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dido and Aeneas

When I took Music Appreciation as a freshman in college, my professor played my class an Aria. I fell in love. The singer's voice was magical and powerful and the words she sang were heavy with emotion. It was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever heard. 

So wonderful it was that I had completely forgotten about it until today. 

My brother is taking that class with the same professor and he played today that wonderful Aria I had fallen in love with. It is an Aria from an Opera written by an English composer named Purcell. The name of the piece is Dido and Aeneas

In a nutshell, Dido and Aeneas fall in love. An evil sorceress tricks Aeneas to go away and Dido kills herself because her lover left her. So sad. So overdramatic. Such is opera. 

 I cannot promise that you will not cry. 


Wasn't it wonderful?

1 comment:

  1. its a little haunting in the beginning, but its absolutely beautiful!!!

    lets go to see an opera! :)

    ReplyDelete