Friday, November 7, 2008

Gross National Happiness

This morning, in my daily roundup of news from here , here and here, I ran into this news story.

In case you're lazy and/or don't feel like clicking on my links, let me recap.

Bhutan, a tiny country in Asia crowned its first democratically elected king, Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuck (I bet all of you skipped reading that). He became Bhutan's fifth dragon king (and who wouldn't like to be a dragon king!?) He's Oxford educated and apparently considered to be quite a young stud (we all know how important looks are in politics).

What intrigued me was Bhutan's unique take on Gross Domestic Product. The government believes that while money and financial stability is important, it is not the only factor to take in when defining a country's quality of life. What do they call it? Gross National Happiness!

Isn't that awesome?
Sure, there's countless of arguments against the subjective measuring of "happiness", but I think its a neat idea.

Congrats, Jigme! make that raven's head crown proud.

1 comment:

  1. I was watching the daily show today [it was a rerun from a couple nights ago I think] and I literally lol'ed when they said, "Sarah Palin is so dumb she thinks soy milk is Spanish for I am milk."
    hahaha...man, what a great show. :-)

    ReplyDelete