Sunday, July 20, 2008

Emo Lake

I decided to take a stroll around my neighborhood today. I took my camera along. I walked along my "emo" lake; the place I visit on the nights I have something "deep" to think about where I sit on the grass, stare off into the water and listen to some Dashboard Confessional or if i'm really depressed, Boyz II Men. (Don't act like you don't get choked up when you hear End of the Road).
[Fisheye lens thanks for Elaine ;-) ]

Contrary to the name I graced it with, Emo Lake is actually full of non-depression related activities during the day.

Take this next dog for example. He's far from Emo. I bet you he doesn't even have a single Coldplay song in his Ipod (I don't care what you say, Coldplay is Emo).
When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

When the tears come streaming down on your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

The question should be "could it be more emo?" (Chandler Bing emphasis) 

Anyway, a dog like this, with his playful trot and silly grin has to be a fan of some ol' soul music a la Marvin Gaye. I won't be surprised if I find him by the lake one night with a lady friend and some Marvin playing in the background. 
Or take this kid. Fishing in a neighborhood "lake". The only thing he'll catch there is malaria from the mosquitoes flying around. He's quite content, however in spending his Sunday afternoon in 90 degree weather "fishing". More power to him. 

This dog is probably a fan of Ludacris. He growls like he has Cadillac Grills. He lacks however the Southern Hospitality,. Barking at someone for walking by one's house is not very southern nor very hospitable. 

I did find someone on the verge of "emo-ness", though. This duck here had just had a quarrel with another duck. The other duck owned him. He walked away in shame cursing at himself for his humiliating defeat. Nothing says "I wanna die or at the very least hide my face in shame with a lot of bang hair" like a busted ego. Trust me. 

I have a feeling that Mr. Sad Duck will join me by the lake next time. I'll give him the left earphone of my Ipod and we'll both sulk in our intertwined mysery while singing/quaking along, between sighs and sobs, to some Death Cab.

1 comment:

  1. even if that kid did catch something, should he want to eat it?

    ReplyDelete